Which is the best airline to work for as a flight attendant (or as one of the cabin crew if you’re from the UK)? This list of 10 is a great place to start. Each has a unique brand, a variety of perks, and different amounts of prestige and experience when it comes to career opportunities.
Think about how and where you want to live and work, then see if one of these airlines aligns with your personal and professional goals by examining each one’s unique advantages.
1. Emirates Airlines: The Global Leader in Luxury
Emirates is synonymous with unparalleled luxury, exceptional service, and a cosmopolitan atmosphere, setting the gold standard for air travel and solidifying its reputation as a world-class brand, making it one of the top choices for aspiring flight attendants.
Here’s what sets Emirates apart:
- Competitive Salary and Benefits: Emirates offers a tax-free salary, free accommodation, and various allowances, providing a comfortable lifestyle in Dubai.
- Multicultural Work Environment: As a truly global airline, Emirates attracts crew members from over 160 nationalities, fostering a diverse and inclusive atmosphere.
- Extensive Training: Emirates invests in comprehensive training programs, ensuring its flight attendants are skilled and confident in their roles.
Become A Flight Attendant
We cover everything you need to know about the Flight Attendant interview process and how to pass it. Everything from what to wear, to how to do your hair and makeup, we show you the most likely interview questions and we even tell you how to answer them. Valuable insights from industry experts to help take the guess work out of the interview process.
Written by Airline Crew & HR Personnel
Career Advice, Interview Questions & Answers
2. Singapore Airlines: Exceptional Training and Iconic Uniforms
Known for its iconic “Singapore Girl” uniforms, Singapore Airlines is another prestigious option for flight attendants. Key benefits include:
- World-Class Training: The airline’s training center focuses on service excellence, safety, and grooming standards, empowering crew members to excel in their careers.
- Service Awards and Recognition: Singapore Airlines acknowledges outstanding crew members with awards and commendations, boosting morale and encouraging excellence.
- Quality of Life: The airline offers competitive pay, layover allowances, and travel benefits, ensuring a comfortable lifestyle for its employees.
3. Qatar Airways: Prestige and Rapid Growth
Qatar Airways is a fast-growing airline that offers exciting opportunities for flight attendants. Here’s why it ranks among the best:
- Rapid Career Advancement: The airline’s expansion plans create opportunities for promotions and growth within the company.
- Global Exposure: Qatar Airways serves over 160 destinations, providing a diverse range of experiences for its employees.
- Cultural Experience: Living in Doha allows flight attendants to experience Qatari culture and connect with colleagues from around the world.
4. Delta Airlines: Unparalleled Domestic Opportunities
As a leading US airline, Delta Airlines offers exceptional domestic career opportunities for flight attendants. Key advantages include:
- Flexible Work Schedules: Delta offers various scheduling options, including part-time and reserve roles, accommodating different lifestyles.
- Profit Sharing: Delta employees are eligible for profit-sharing programs, encouraging a sense of ownership and pride in the company.
- Comprehensive Benefits: Delta offers health, dental, and vision insurance, along with retirement plans and travel privileges, promoting overall well-being.
5. Cathay Pacific: East Meets West
Cathay Pacific, based in Hong Kong, offers unique opportunities for flight attendants interested in bridging Eastern and Western cultures. Key highlights include:
- Extensive Network: Cathay Pacific’s extensive route network offers opportunities to explore diverse destinations across Asia and beyond.
- Competitive Remuneration: The airline provides a competitive salary, allowances, and benefits, ensuring a comfortable lifestyle for its crew members.
- Cultural Immersion: Living in Hong Kong provides an exciting blend of Eastern and Western cultures, making it an appealing choice for adventurous individuals.
6. British Airways: Tradition and Prestige
British Airways is a classic choice for flight attendants seeking a prestigious career with a well-established airline. Here’s what makes British Airways exceptional:
- Varied Route Network: British Airways serves over 200 destinations, offering a diverse range of experiences for its employees.
- Comprehensive Training: The airline’s rigorous training programs ensure flight attendants are well-prepared to handle various situations and deliver excellent service.
- Strong Corporate Culture: British Airways is known for its strong team spirit and supportive work environment, promoting camaraderie among crew members.
7. Lufthansa: A Gateway to Europe
Lufthansa, as Germany’s flagship carrier, embodies precision, innovation, and reliability, providing passengers with a superior travel experience rooted in European elegance and tradition. Consequently, Lufthansa offers flight attendants the opportunity to work for one of Europe’s largest and most respected airlines.
Key benefits include:
- Attractive Compensation Package: Lufthansa provides competitive salaries, allowances, and benefits, ensuring a comfortable lifestyle for its employees.
- Language Skills: Working for Lufthansa provides an excellent opportunity to learn or improve German language skills, enhancing career prospects within the airline.
- Extensive European Network: Lufthansa’s broad network covers numerous European destinations, offering a unique opportunity to explore the continent.
8. Qantas: The Spirit of Australia
Qantas, Australia’s flag carrier, presents a unique opportunity for flight attendants to experience the Australian spirit.
Here’s what sets Qantas apart:
- Work-Life Balance: Qantas places a strong emphasis on work-life balance, offering flexible scheduling options and promoting employee well-being.
- Diverse Route Network: The airline’s expansive network covers destinations across Australia, Asia, Europe, and the Americas, providing diverse experiences for its crew.
- Training and Development: Qantas invests in training and development programs, ensuring its flight attendants are skilled and knowledgeable in their roles.
9. Etihad Airways: Experience the Middle Eastern Charm
Etihad Airways epitomises luxurious travel, seamlessly blending Middle Eastern charm with world-class service and sophisticated elegance to create an unparalleled flying experience.. Key advantages of working for Etihad include:
- Competitive Salary and Benefits: Etihad offers tax-free salaries, accommodation, and allowances, providing a comfortable lifestyle in Abu Dhabi.
- World-Class Training: The airline’s training programs focus on safety, service, and cultural sensitivity, preparing flight attendants for a successful career.
- Multicultural Environment: Etihad’s crew members represent over 100 nationalities, fostering a diverse and inclusive work atmosphere.
10. Air New Zealand: The Spirit of Kiwi Hospitality
Air New Zealand, known for its warm and friendly service, is a top choice for flight attendants seeking to embody the spirit of Kiwi hospitality. Here’s what makes Air New Zealand special:
- Friendly Work Culture: The airline’s supportive and welcoming work environment encourages strong teamwork and camaraderie among crew members.
- Unique Destinations: Air New Zealand’s network includes some of the most breathtaking destinations in the South Pacific, offering unparalleled travel experiences.
- Training and Growth: The airline provides comprehensive training programs and ongoing development opportunities, empowering its flight attendants to excel in their careers.
These top 10 best airlines offer exceptional opportunities for aspiring flight attendants. Each airline boasts unique advantages in terms of training, benefits, and work culture, making them standout choices for a rewarding career. By considering your personal goals and preferences, you can choose the airline that best aligns with your aspirations and begin your journey towards becoming a flight attendant.
Exploring Career Opportunities and Training for Flight Attendants
The above are our top ten suggestions but there are of course many other airlines to work and which might be the ideal starting place for you, taking into account your geographic location. In the second half of this post I have listed other suggestions for you to consider while you develop your career. The airline industry offers an array of career opportunities for those seeking a flight attendant job. Each airline has its unique culture and employee benefits, providing aspiring flight attendants with diverse choices to find their perfect fit.
Southwest Airlines Flight Attendant Opportunities
Southwest Airlines is known for its friendly atmosphere and exceptional customer service, making it a great airline for those seeking a flight attendant career. Southwest Airlines flight attendants enjoy competitive pay, travel benefits, and a comprehensive benefits package. Additionally, Southwest Airlines is a profitable airline, offering job security and opportunities for growth.
United Airlines Flight Attendant Training and Benefits
United Airlines, a major airline in the industry, offers a comprehensive flight attendant training program to equip new flight attendants with essential skills and knowledge. United Airlines flight attendants enjoy a competitive pay scale, paid training, and attractive travel benefits. The airline also boasts a strong record of job security, ensuring a stable career for its employees.
Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant Roles
Alaska Airlines, one of the largest regional airlines, offers various positions within its cabin crew, from entry-level flight attendant jobs to more senior roles. Aspiring flight attendants can expect competitive pay, employee benefits, and opportunities to explore destinations across the United States and beyond. Alaska Airlines flight attendants enjoy the support and camaraderie of their experienced colleagues, fostering a positive work environment.
American Airlines Flight Attendant Advantages
American Airlines is another leading choice for those seeking a flight attendant career. As a major airline, it offers extensive training programs and opportunities for growth. American Airlines flight attendants benefit from a competitive pay scale, travel benefits, and a comprehensive benefits package, ensuring a comfortable and rewarding career.
Exploring Additional Airline Opportunities
The airline industry is vast, with many airlines for flight attendants to consider. Some airlines, such as those operating in South America, provide unique opportunities to explore new cultures and destinations. Additionally, regional airlines may offer a more intimate work environment and varied flight hours, catering to different preferences and lifestyles.
Pay and Conditions: Understanding the Rewards and Perks of a Flight Attendant Career
How do fresh-faced members of the cabin crew on their first flights end up as experienced flight attendants earning the top of the salary range and working for the best paying airlines? It involves having a keen eye for opportunities and being ready to move on when the time is right. Employee discounts are great but there not much compensation when the average salary for a new flight attendant isn’t paying the bills.
Career development in the airline industry requires some strategic planning if you want to end up working for the top airlines. Here are some additional factors to consider.
Flight Attendant Salaries and Pay Scale
The average flight attendant salary varies depending on the airline and the individual’s experience. The highest paid flight attendants typically work for major airlines, while regional airlines may offer lower starting salaries. However, as flight attendants gain experience and seniority, their pay increases, and senior flight attendants at both major and regional airlines can enjoy attractive compensation packages.
Employee Benefits and Perks
In addition to competitive salaries, the best airlines offer comprehensive employee benefits packages. These may include health insurance, dental and vision coverage, retirement plans, and life insurance. Additionally, airlines often provide uniform allowances, ensuring that flight attendants always look their best while on duty.
Layovers, Hotels, and Social Life
One of the most exciting aspects of a flight attendant career is the opportunity to explore new destinations during layovers. Many airlines provide layover allowances, covering hotel accommodations and meal expenses during these stops. Layovers in exciting locations like Las Vegas or international destinations offer flight attendants the chance to experience new cultures and create lasting memories with their colleagues, alll while doing things on a budget thanks to the layover allowance.
Reserve Flight Attendant Opportunities
For those who value flexibility, becoming a reserve flight attendant can be an attractive option. Reserve flight attendants typically work on an on-call basis, filling in when other flight attendants are unavailable. While this role may offer less predictability in terms of scheduling, it can provide a unique opportunity to experience different routes and work with a variety of colleagues.
Comparing Airlines: Finding the Best Fit
When choosing the best airline to work for as a flight attendant, it’s obviously important to consider factors such as pay, employee benefits, and company culture. To use a random example, Frontier Airlines, for example, may offer different perks and conditions compared to other airlines like Southwest Airlines, making it a great airline for some individuals while not being the deciding factor for others.
A flight attendant career can be both rewarding and exciting, with competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits packages, and opportunities to explore new destinations. By researching and comparing the offerings of various airlines, both major and regional carriers, aspiring flight attendants can find the best airline for their career goals and personal preferences.