What is a flight bag?
A flight bag is a piece of luggage designed specifically for air travel. Flight bags are typically smaller than traditional suitcases and often have multiple compartments and enough storage space to help keep everything organized. They also usually have a shoulder strap or carry handle, which can be helpful when navigating through an airport.
In addition, many flight bags supplied to the US market are equipped with a TSA-approved lock, which helps to keep belongings secure during the journey. As an air travel passenger, whether you’re a frequent flyer or just taking a weekend getaway, a flight bag that has been designed for air travel can make life a little easier.
Who needs a flight bag?
As well as passengers, a flight bag is an extremely useful tool for pilots and any members of the aircrew, whether a private pilot or commercial airline captain. A sturdy flight bag will typically have several pockets and compartments to keep all essential items organized and within easy reach. This can include items such as aviation headsets, sectional charts, kneepads, checklists, fuel testers, and other items that may be needed during the flight.
In addition, a flight bag can also serve as a convenient place to store important personal items such as a passport or driver’s license (and more recently, additional health documentation).
For pilots who frequently fly into unfamiliar airports, a practical flight bag makes life just that little bit easier. It is essential to have quick and easy access to all of the necessary documents and resources, and a well-organized flight bag can make all the difference.
What makes a good flight bag?
A good flight bag should be spacious enough to fit everything you need, but not so large that it becomes cumbersome to carry or stow away, either in the cockpit or in the overhead lockers. The bag should also have several well-organized compartments to help keep everything in its place and it should be durable enough to withstand the rigors of travel.
For this reason, it should be made from high-quality materials that can resist wear and tear, and it should have strong straps and handles that won’t break under the weight of your belongings. With all of these features, a premium bag can make traveling easier and more enjoyable.
As a pilot, the best flight bag for you will have dedicated pockets and storage space for all the particular items you carry with you.
These pockets might include:
- Two padded headset pockets
- Fuel tester pockets
- A large transceiver pocket
- A zippered iPad pocket
- A zippered rear pocket
- Mesh pockets for easy access to items e.g. a water bottle
- A zippered pocket or separate pockets for each or some of the following; sunglasses, spare batteries, flight plans, charging cords, and other gear
In addition to the exterior pockets you might want to consider these other bag features:
- Padded laptop compartment
- Adjustable shoulder strap
- Lined main compartment
- Water resistant
- J hook (to attach to other bags)
Pocket Cap Front
The pocket cap front is a large zippered pocket made up of a large flap that covers the entire front of the bag and it is secured with a snap closure or a zip, enabling quick access. The pocket cap front is typically used to store items such as an boarding pass, passport, or other documents. The pocket cap front is a feature you’ll see on almost every type of flight bag.
Choosing a flight bag suitable for passengers
When it comes to choosing a flight bag, there are a few things to take into account. First and foremost, you’ll want to make sure that the bag is the right size for your needs.
For air travelers, carry-on bags have strict size restrictions and these vary from one airline to another. Budget airlines and short-haul flights insist on smaller bags than long-haul flights, so be sure to check the dimensions of your bag before purchasing it.
Your decision will probably be based on the routes you most often fly. As a business traveler who makes several short-haul flights within the same country or continent each year, you might opt for a small bag than, for example, someone who travels long haul once a year to go on holiday.
Once you’ve found the perfect size, you can start to think about style. Do you want a bright and colorful bag that will stand out from the rest? Or are you looking for something more subdued? There are plenty of great options out there, so take your time and find the perfect bag for your travel requirements.
The Student Pilot Flight Bag
During that initial rush of enthusiasm when student pilots start learning to fly there is the pleasure of buying all the gear needed for the weeks and months ahead. Some of this equipment may last well past the date of obtaining a pilot’s license. A battered flight bag may be a visible reminder of those early days of flight lesson nerves.
All this pilot gear could also be on a birthday or Christmas wishlist. However, your family and friends may not be familiar with the products and where to buy them, so you may have to send them a wishlist link or precise details if you’re to receive the flight bag and other pilot gear you have in mind.
The Pilot Flight Bag
A recreational pilot (PPL or similar) may simply continue using the flight bag that has served well during training, but commercial or airline pilots (CPL/ATPL, etc) may need something a bit more executive looking that befits the aircraft and the company image.
Wouldn’t that battered old flight bag from your student pilot days look a bit out of place in the cockpit of a Hawker 4000? Perhaps it’s time you treated yourself and upgraded to something a bit smarter, like a leather flight bag that matches the shine on your shoes and clean-cut of your uniform.
Pilot bags used by professional pilots will be by their side at all times and will not have to travel on a luggage cart at any point.
Where to buy your flight bag
Flight Outfitters is an aviation apparel brand that is all about providing pilots and aviation enthusiasts with high-quality, stylish clothing. The brand offers a wide range of items, from T-shirts and hats to jackets and flight suits. In addition to their clothing line, Flight Outfitters also sells a variety of aviation-themed accessories, such as headphones, bags, and wallets.
Flight Outfitters bags can be inspected closely at about twenty retail locations in the USA, a few in Canada, and one in the UK. In addition, there are several in Europe. If you prefer to shop online then there are of course dozens of online retailers base in the USA, Germany, South Africa, Australia, and the UK. The Flight Outfitters lift bag is a popular choice.
- 2 padded headset pockets
- Front organizer pocket
- Felt Flight Outfitters signature orange interior
- Canvas with leather accents
- Metal hardware and padded shoulder strap
Frequent Flyer Flight Bags
For air travelers, the best flight bags don’t need to be quite as compartmentalized as those used by airline captains carrying assorted amounts of flying gear. An excellent bag for a passenger will be made from durable material and have enough space for all their essential gear. They may also want a padded iPad pocket, several external pockets, perhaps a padded laptop sleeve, and a padded shoulder strap.
Like aviator sungglasses, flight bags are often used by people who not only have no practical connection with aviation but may not share any interest in it. Their only interest is in aviation is a comfortable flight with punctual departure and arrival times.
For you, maybe flight bags are a stlyish accessory, a practical bag made perhaps out of oiled South American cowhide. You may not need a bush pilot bag but you like the style, it’s colour and its leather accents on the canvas edges, and you just want bag features such as an organizer pocket, rolling luggage handles, adjustable strap, and enough room for all your accessories.
Vancropak Travel Backpack, 40L Flight Approved Carry On Backpack
This spacious and stylish backpack is designed for both men and women and meets the maximum size allowed by IATA flights. The expandable design allows you to store everything from clothes to toiletries. Whether you’re hitting the road for a weekend getaway or taking a business trip, this carry-on backpack will make packing a breeze.
The Vancropak Travel Backpack has a spacious main compartment and separate mesh pocket, it has plenty of room to store all your travel gear. The internal compression elastic straps keep everything secure, while the front compartment with various pockets is perfect for storing notebooks, pens, earphones, and other small items.
And the anti-theft back pocket is ideal for keeping your valuables safe. The Vancropak Travel Backpack is large enough to hold everything you need for a comfortable trip, and its stylish design makes it a great choice for both men and women.
It features an air-mesh ventilated back panel, adjustable chest straps, and four exterior side compression buckles to help keep your belongings secure. Plus, the thickened sponge handles and shoulder straps provide extra comfort when you’re carrying your bag.
- ✈Expandable & Large Capacity: This large travel backpack with an expandable design gives you a greater capacity of up to 40L. Unzipping to get larger storage space, you can easily fit 3-7days travel gears. The carry on backpack meets the maximum size allowed by IATA flights, can be fitted overhead and under-seat, is ideal for a weekend trip, business trip. The TSA 180 degree zipper closure helps you go through the security check quickly
- ✈ Convenient Design: This carry on travel backpack is designed with hideaway padded shoulder straps which can be hidden away in the zippered back panel when not using. Two padded handles on the top and the side are designed to lift the backpack from multiple angles, provide you more flexible carrying experience such as carrying like a suitcase or a backpack. A luggage strap on the back is designed to fit on the luggage's handle, for easier carry on international travel or back to school
- ✈ Easy to Organize: The luggage backpack's main compartment with separate mesh pocket and roomy space to store different travel gears, internal compression elastic straps can well secure items. The front compartment with various pockets can be used to store notebooks, pens, earphones, and other small items, for quick pick out. An anti-theft back pocket is suitable for valuables. The travel backpack is large enough for vacation, weekend getaway, overnight trip
- ✈ Reduce Pressure Feature: The backpack equipped with adjustable chest straps, 4 exterior side compression buckles, air-mesh ventilated back panel, can effectively relieve the pressure on the shoulder and neck, also reduced stress on the zippers. Thickened sponge handles and shoulder straps provide you with more comfort when you are carrying and gripping the bag. Great valentine's gift for him or her, gift for dad
- ✈ Durable & Warranty: Men's Travel Backpack is made of lightweight water-resistant polyester and anti-scratch material, which can provide protection on drizzle days. Zippers are easy to close and open. We provide this carry on bag with 12-month worry-free period, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we will give you a satisfactory solution within 24 hours. Regular sizes are 20*14*7 inches; after extended sizes are 20*14*9 inches
Other Flight Bags
Headset Flight Bags
Your aviation headset may be an item that you want to carry for quick access in a compact bag specifically designed for the task, rather than in the zip pocket of a larger bag. You may need to make it easily accessible in a dark cockpit, for example.
The Simple Flyer Alpha Pilot Headset Flight Bag is the perfect bag for aviation professionals and student pilots. It has a large headset pocket, a protected iPad inner pocket, and pockets for pens, phone chargers, and everything else needed to be easily reached. The large side pockets are perfect for water bottles, sunglasses, view limiting devices, handheld radios, ADS-B receivers, etc. Simple Flyer’s Alpha Pilot Headset Flight Bag is made of durable rip-stop nylon fabric that will last in harsh environments.
Other Travel Bags
A messenger bag is a type of shoulder bag that was often used by bicycle messengers, hence the name. The design of the bag allows it to be worn across the body, leaving the hands free to ride a bike.
Messenger bags are often made from durable materials such as canvas or leather, and they often have several pockets to help keep everything organized. A messenger bag is are very often a sturdy bag and makes very good laptop bag.
Many people now use messenger bags as an alternative to a traditional briefcase, backpack, or flight bag, as they can be more comfortable to carry and offer easy access to the contents. However, messenger bags tend to have just one large compartment, so they don’t keep everything separated.
- Water bottle/back-up radio pocket, Fuel tester pocket, 2 external chart pockets
- Fleece-lined electronic accessory pockets (ADS-B / GPS / Iridium), 4 internal mesh organizers for cables and charging cords
- Fleece-lined headset pocket with elastic loops for extra batteries for ANR headsets
- Adjustable shoulder strap, braided wire reinforced carry handle and metal hardware
- External Dimensions: 12"H x 10.5"W x 9"D
- Padded 600D Nylon for superior durability
- Comfort Grip connectable handles
- Non-slip detachable carry strap
- Reinforcing straps around bag for strength
- Durable nylon fabric
- Large headset pocket, with battery holder
- External double pockets for flashlight and fuel tester, walkie talkie storage pocket
- File pocket, Ipad storage pocket, it can hold tablets of all sizes, include pilot kneeboard
- Quick access chart pockets, with a zipper design at the bottom, which can be inserted into a trolley case
- MULTI-COMPARTMENT: Travel backpack has a separate laptop compartment that it could hold 17 Computer and protect laptop from moving; Main compartment with double zippers has enough storage room to store your school books or daily necessities for back to school or an overnight trip; Organizer compartment many pockets keep your items organized and easier to find; There are many other pockets for different purposes. Teens backpack is Good choice for middle school, high school, college students
- SHOE COMPARTMENT: One shoe compartment is crafted to bottom of school backpack carry on to keep the shoes seperately and everything else clean. This shoe storage is wide enough to hold size 10-12 for both lady shoes and man shoes which can also be used as toiletries bags and for other uses; There is two venting hole in shoe compartment, make it keep breathable
- FUNCTIONAL & SAFE: USB interface with built-in cable design, great convenience for charging your electronic devices via connecting your own power bank Comfortable breathable back design gives you maximum back support; A luggage strap allows the travel backpack to securely slip over the handle of any rolling luggage for hands-free transport, easier carrying. With a hidden anti theft pocket on the back protect your valuable items from thieves
- DURABLE MATERIAL: The mens backpack is well made of Water-Repellent and Durable Nylon Fabric with metal zippers;There has Lockable Metal Zippers in laptop pocket to protect your computer or valuables from thieves (you need to lock up laptop compartment with your own lock); Foam padded top handle is comfortable to carry on for a long time
- DIMENSIONS: The dimension of black backpack is 20 x 13 x 8 inch. And the capacity is 40L. You can carry it onto airplane.The carry on backpack ensure a secure long-lasting usage everyday or weekend,Serve you well as travel personal carryon bag, college high school bookbag, business trip, outdoor activities backpack, perfect for men, women, teen, boy, girl. Unique Valentines day gifts for men
- Front organizer section with two mesh pockets and a key ring. Perfect for storing charging cables, cleaning cloths, and other small items.
- Main compartment fits a headset and is padded for protection. Two elastic loops in headset pocket are made specifically for extra AA batteries.
- Padded iPad pocket in back protects your EFB. Pass-through cable slot makes it easy to charge your iPad from a battery pack.
- Quick access back pocket for charts or other thin items. Three exterior pockets made for flashlight, pen/pencil, and fuel tester
- Quick grab handle plus rugged webbing to attach a carabiner.
- Padded headset pocket
- Padded internal iPad pocket
- Cavernous center compartment with plenty of room for books and kneeboards
- Two quick-access chart pockets
- Exterior fuel tester pocket
- The bag you want for your everyday flying. Big enough to hold everything you need but compact enough to carry and store easily.
- 10" tall x 10" wide x 8" deep
- Large front pocket
- Open slot pockets on both sides for flashlight, fuel tester, cell phone or hand-held radio
- Open flat pocket on the back for charts, flight plans, iPad or kneeboard
- A large zippered carpenter-style opening spreads wide to reveal a spacious, lined main compartment and an internal, zippered iPad pocket.
- A large transceiver pocket with cut-out flap allows antenna-on storage.
- The front organizer pocket is strategically designed for optimum placement of pens, keys, and other essential items.
- A large, zippered rear pocket provides convenient storage for documents and other flat items while doubling as a Rollaboard slot.
- 30-day money back guarantee,1 year limited warranty
- Quality tested and ensured for maximum durability
- Designed with only the toughest, roughest users in mind
- Comfort and Performance come hand in hand with Rothco
- Timeless style, Made from canvas with leather accents.
- Dedicated tablet pocket is accessible from the front without opening the bag (Fits iPads up to iPad Pro 10.5").
- Padded computer section protects your laptop (fits LAPTOPS UP TO 15"W x 7"H).
- Quick access exterior pockets are great for flashlights or fuel testers.
- Three flap pockets are perfect for cables, ads-b receivers, and battery packs.
Last update on 2022-10-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API