In this post I’m going to suggest how to improve your home WiFi network by strengthening your WiFi signal around the house and garden. I’m a network engineer and I’ve been working in IT for over 20 years. I specialise in WANs (Wide Area Networks) and of course what I’m about to talk about are LANs (Local Area Networks), so if anything I’m about to say can be improved upon in any way feel free to comment below with your suggestions.
Working From Home
Many of us are working from home more often than not and even though we may have thought this was a temporary arrangement (during the Coronavirus pandemic, for example) we may find that it has become permanent once companies realise that they don’t need as many people occupying their expensive offices.
So it’s really important that we make the best use of the WiFi networks we have at our disposal at home.
That said, it’s worth remembering that what I’m about to explain is how to boost your WiFi signal around your property. It won’t do anything to increase the bandwidth from your home to the internet.
If you’re lucky then you may have a fibre optic cable from the nearest green telecommunication junction box in the street to your home, but many of us still have only a copper cable. Copper cabling severely limits your bandwidth in comparison to fibre optic cabling. So you may have to wait until they upgrade the network in your area or until 5G is available to you.
How to improve your home network
Anyway, here’s how to improve your home WiFi network by strengthening your WiFi signal.
My existing broadband router creates a WiFi network with a limited range, given all the walls and ceilings in the house and I wanted to install a pair of Reolink security cameras on the opposite side of the house and found the usual options for connecting to the router were not practical.
- It would be too expensive to install a cable from the camera to the router
- The WiFi signal was too weak on the other side of the house
- Using a pair of powerline plugs didn’t work because the two plugs were on different electrical rings. For other connections this idea works well enough e.g. connecting the TV to the router.
So I considered the fourth option which is to boost the WiFi signal.
At first I tried a simple plug-in WiFi range extender in the form of a NETGEAR Wi-Fi Booster Range Extender EX3700. This works well enough in terms of boosting the WiFi signal from my existing router but the boost didn’t extend far enough into the garage area where I needed it for the security cameras.
Then I wondered if I should put another router in the garage and bridge from the new (TP-Link) router to the existing router, but that proved unsuccessful too due to the poor signal strength.
So then I found the TP-Link Deco M5 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System. I bought the pack of three (there are other options with fewer or more units) and put one next to my existing router, another in the kitchen (where I had previously plugged the range extender), and the third in the garage, which I then cabled to the second router.
I then attached the two security cameras to a PoE (Power over Ethernet) hub and attached that to the TP-Link router. The TP Link Deco units form a new WiFi network so I was able to bridge this network across to my existing network by configuring WDS bridging on the new TP-Link router. No changes were needed on the existing router.
The net result of all this is that I have two WiFi networks in the house, the second of which is for my security cameras and for use by any other device that’s out of range from the first network. The only disadvantage I’ve found so far is that the printer is only accessible if my device is connected to the first network but that’s a minor hitch.
If all this sounds a bit complicated then that’s because it is a bit fiddly if you haven’t done it before and there may be a neater way of doing this. Feel free to suggest a way below.
Here’s a list of the kit I used to test these ideas
WiFi Range Extender Plug
- WIFI BOOSTER FOR EXTENDED WIRELESS COVERAGE: Adds Wi-Fi range coverage up to 1000 sq ft, and connects up to 15 devices such as laptops, smartphones, speakers, IP cameras, tablets, IoT devices, and more. Technical Support on 03448 754000
- AC750 WI-FI SPEED: Provides up to 750Mbps performance using dual-band and patented FastLane(TM) technology.
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: Works with any wireless router, gateway, or cable modem with Wi-Fi.
- WIRED ETHERNET PORT: Simply plug in game consoles, streaming players, or other nearby wired devices using the one 10/100M port for maximum speed.
- SAFE & SECURE: Supports WEP and WPA/WPA2 wireless security protocols. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: 2.4 and/or 5GHz 802.11ac & a/b/g/n wireless router or gateway. Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0, Firefox 20 or Safari 5.1 or Google Chrome 25.0 browsers or higher.
Household WiFi Mesh System
- Seamless Wi-Fi in every room: Covers up to 3800 sq ft with high performance mesh Wi-Fi, get rid of Wi-Fi boosters or extenders and keep 100+ devices connected at the same time
- Secure Wi-Fi for everyone: Get the most secure whole home Wi-Fi with Homecare protecting every device at no additional cost for lifetime
- Easy setup in minutes: Download the TP-Link Deco app, plug in your system and follow the instructions to get your home network up and running in minutes
- Ideal way to find the connection: TP-Link Mesh technology chooses the fastest path for device connections and keeps your network running as fast as possible
- Compatible with Echo/Alexa: Control your home network using voice commands
- Wireless and speed 450 Mbps Wi-Fi speed ideal for interruption sensitive applications like HD video streaming; Far-reaching 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi coverage with 3 high-quality 5dBi antennas
- Easy Bandwidth Management: Bandwidth control allocates necessary speed of each connected device to ensure quality of multimedia streaming
- Fast encryption: One-touch WPA wireless security encryption with the WPS button; compatible with IPv6 -the more recent Internet Protocol version
- Hassle-free Management with Tether App: Network management is made easy with the TP-Link Tether app, available on any Android or iOS device
- Guest network and parental control: Keeps your main network secure by creating a separate guest network for visitors; restricts the access time and contents for children devices with parental control
Powerline plugs for connecting two devices on the same electrial ring
- HomePlug AV standard compliant, providing data transmission over electrical wires
- Stable and high-speed data transfer rate over electrical wires, ideal for HD video streaming, online gaming and large file downloading
- Up to 300 m range over the household power circuit for efficient performance through walls or across floors
- No setup required, simply plug and play. System Requirements: Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac, Linux
- Power saving mode automatically reduces power consumption by up to 85 percent
Easy to install PoE security cameras
- 【5MP VIDEO & AUDIO PICKUP】: this PoE camera is with 2560x1920 5MP super HD resolution. The lens is 4mm and offers 80 degrees wide view angle. With a built-in mic, the IP camera supports live view and recording motions with both video and audio in micro SD card (built-in micro SD card slot, supports up to 128GB micro SD card, NOT Included)
- 【PoE & SIMPLE INSTALLATION】: Embedded with PoE module for a single network cable to transmit both power and video together from PoE injector. Without a power adapter and equipped with IP66 weatherproof housing, this CCTV camera can be installed indoor and outdoor, such as gate, front door, garden, backyard, garage, corridor, kitchen, living room, etc. (No Power Adapter Included)
- 【MOTION DETECTION & MULTIPLE ALERTS】: 4 actions when motion is detected by this surveillance camera: email with a photo or 30s video; push notification to Reolink app; FTP uploading; SD card recording (optional). You will hardly miss any movements going on or that happened
- 【PLUG & PLAY ON THE INTERNET】: 2 steps to connect this security camera. 1-Connect the video IP camera to the router; 2-Download the Reolink app. You will automatically get the PoE camera on your phone app under the same network. And it can be viewed anytime, anywhere under WiFi, 4G or 3G
- 【AUTOMATIC INFRARED SWITCH & EXCELLENT NIGHT VISION】: Equipped with 18 infrared LED lights (14mil) and infrared cut-off, the security camera will automatically light up when it is dark, and you can disable the LED as needed. Night vision up to 100 feet
MicroSD cards for the security cameras
- Up to 512 GB capacity
- This product has been certified to meet Google's compatibility standards; Chromebook and the Works With Chromebook badge are trademarks of Google LLC
- Operating temperature: -13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85ºC). Storage temperature: -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC). Compatibility: Compatible with microSDHC and microSDXC supporting host devices
- Load apps faster with A1 performance class
- UHS Speed Class U1 and Speed Class 10 for Full HD video recording/playback
Power over Ethernet (PoE) hub for the cameras
- Compliance with the 802.3af/at PoE+ standard, supports up to 30 W on each PoE port and 67 W for all PoE ports .Max Heat Dissipation : 6.5 BTU/h(no PD connected) ; 252.3 BTU/h(with 67 W PD connected)
- Plug and Play, No Configuration Required. Fully compatible with IP cameras, access points, IP phones, computers, printers, and more.
- With extend mode, the PoE transmission distance reaches up to 250 m—perfect for IP Camera deployment in large areas.(The speed of the ports in extend mode will downgrade to 10 Mbps)
- Priority Video Quality Guaranteed: Quality of sensitive applications like video monitoring in critical business areas is guaranteed by offering higher priority options for ports 1–2 when one-touch Priority Mode is on.
- Intelligent Power Management: When total power consumption exceeds 67 W, the intelligent power management will cut the lower priority port power. This ensures the high priority port’s power supply and protects the device from power overload.
Last update on 2022-06-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API